Bill has put together the report by carefully analyzing over 250k logos from over the past 13 years.
Past Logo Design Trend Reports:
- Logo Lounge:
2015 | 2014 | 2013 | 2012 | 2011 | 2010 | 2009 | 2008 | 2007 | 2006 | 2005 | 2004 | 2003
- Discussion on Just Creative: 2015 | 2014 | 2013 | 2011 | 2010 | 2009
Logo Trends of 2016 Summary
- Simplification overall is a key trend
- Uncomplicated san serif fonts are in and out are added details (gradients, serifs, etc)
- Geometric shapes, especially the circle are taking center stage.
- Emojis and symbols are playing an even bigger role in today`s society, and could even soon be considered a language.
- Keywords on the rise: fitness, green, health, modern, clean, sans-serif, water, mountains, locator, pin, tea, non-profit, real estate, brewery, culture, museum, birds.
- Keywords decreased: vintage, law, sports, baking, entertainment, video games, technology, food, ministry,
- New styles taking center stage: Ombre, Circles, Half & Half, Linked, Stimming, Dog Eared, Corners, Line Dash, Off Shift, Curls, Pocket Shield, Slices, Letterblock, Benders, Bars,
- Rising Trends: Spot Pics, Wide Logos, Tinker Toys, Filters, Dumbbells.
On the topic of trends, please don`t follow trends for trends sake. Know what is right for your client and design accordingly.
Stepped color increments
Unadulterated simplification in the form of a circle or a series of circles.
Half & Half
Splitting colors into two for dimensional effect.
Gives depth & perspective by intertwining elements.
A never ending continuous loop.
A container with a corner folded over or trimmed.
Right angled corners either by themselves or to frame.
Mono-lines combined with mono-lined dots or dashes to create texture and/or meaning.
Offsetting letterforms out of alignment.
Engaging curved visual shapes overlapping.
A simplified shield shape with right angled corners at the base.
Cross sectional perspective created with dimensional shapes.
Letters within a block, often with balance between positive & negative space.
Ambiguously twisted shapes.
Rhythm created with lines and/or bar shapes.
2016 Logo Trend Close Contenders
Below are some sub logo trends from 2016.
- Spot Pics – Icons or graphics inside a circle. eg. TNT
- Wide Logos – Horizontally wide logos. eg. Oculus and HP
- Tinker Toys - Wires and dot wires combined. eg. Think Geelong
- Filters – Grid of dots or symbols to create a shape. eg. FitBit
- Dumbbells – Overlapping forms to create a shape.
Learn Logo Design & Adobe Illustrator
Do you have any further logo design trends or inspiration to add?